Main roads in Nicosia will be closed between 3.30pm and 7:00pm on Wednesday as a trial run for the Cyprus Rally takes place. The same roads will be closed on Saturday between 2pm and 10pm during the special stage of the rally.
According to a police statement, the sections of roads that will temporarily be closed off to traffic are:
1. Demosthenis Severis avenue from the junction with Grivas Digenis (Honda traffic Lights) towards the city centre
2. Michalakis Karaoli street, south of the finance ministry
3. Evagoras avenue from the junction with Themistocles Dervis street until the crossing with Gregoris Afxentiou
4. Afxentiou in front of the building of the ministry of finance, the co-op bank and the new municipal theatre
5. Vassilis Pavlou, from the intersection with Christodoulos Sozou until Afxentiou
6. Kostis Palama, from Afxentiou until the junction with Homer street and Lois square
7. Homer from the crossing with Diagorou until the junction with Museum street, in the direction of Ayios Dhometios
8. Part of Cheilonos, Lord Byron and Museum street up until the archaeological museum
9. Nehru, in front of the building of the House of representatives
10. Kinyras, from the junction with Heroes and Louki Akritas
11. Museum street from the Markos Drakos roundabout to the traffic lights with Homer Street and Nehru
12. Markos Drakos roundabout to Ledra Palace
13. Charalambos Mouskou near the district court of Nicosia
Police will make the necessary interim arrangements for assistance and urge drivers who intend to head to and from the centre of Nicosia to use the following temporary routes:
1. Motorists in the areas of Ayios Dometios and Ayios Pavlos should use Griva Digenis avenue, Louki Akritas street and Cheilonos going towards Prodromou street, and Griva Digenis avenue up until Themistocles Dervis street towards Nicosia.
2. In the areas of Lakatamia, Strovolos and Ayios Omologitaes drivers should go via Griva Digenis avenue west towards Engomi, Ayios Dometios and Ayios Pavlos and east towards the centre of Nicosia and the areas of Pallouriotissa and Lykavitos through Themistocles Dervis and Makarios avenue.
3. From the centre of the town towards Evagorou Steet, and next to the old GSP Stadium, traffic will only be allowed towards Griva Digenis avenue.
4. From the centre of the old town towards Rigenis street towards Paphos gate, only traffic heading towards Egypt street will be permitted.
5. Motorists from the areas of Pallouriotissa, Lykavitos and Famagusta Gate should go via Makarios avenue, Digenis Akritas avenue, Spyros Kyprianou avenue (former Santa Rosa) towards Griva Digenis Avenue heading in the direction of Strovolos, Lakatamia, Engomi, Ayios Dometios and Ayios Pavlos.
6. Access to and from the Nicosia courthouses will be controlled by traffic police from Heroes Street and Loukis Akritas street.
7. Only traffic heading towards Ayios Dometios from Cheilonos street will be allowed on Lord Byron Street.
8. The parking area of the old Nicosia general hospital will be open to incoming traffic only from Cheilonos street
9. Only traffic heading toward the town centre and Solomou square will be permitted for Diagorou street.
Parking is available near the former stock exchange in Grivas Digenis avenue, at the D’Avila parking in Stasinou street, next to TGI Fridays in Evagoras avenue, next to the health ministry in Cheilonos street and next to the Mavrommatis bookshop in Prodromos street.