A record number of flights is expected over the next two weeks according to airport operator Hermes
A total of 1,960 flights with about 320,000 passengers on board will travel to and from Larnaca and Paphos airports between Monday and Sunday, August 13.
“On average, there will be 280 flights a day and approximately 45,000 passengers will travel,” said Hermes spokesman Adamos Aspris.
“These are flights to and from the United Kingdom, Russia, Greece, central European countries and Israel. The second major wave of passenger traffic is expected to be recorded next week, during which another 300,000 passengers are expected to travel.”
According to Aspris on August 6 a record number of flights was recorded, with a total of 347 flights in 24 hours, carrying about 60,000 people at both airports.
“So far, everything is running smoothly at both airports without any problems or difficulties, and all services — governmental and non-governmental — are on alert and doing their best to serve the passengers,” he said.
The majority of passengers have responded positively to Hermes’ appeal to get to the airport early and well prepared with all the necessary documents, which helps to avoid delays, he said.
Meanwhile, latest statistics from northern Cyprus show that in the first six months of 2017, 811,571 visitors arrived, of which 62.16 per cent were tourists. The remaining 37.84 per cent stayed there as workers and students without a permit, according to the north’s tourism statistics.
In a related report, Turkish Cypriot newspaper Kibris on Monday referred to figures according to which 623,223 people who arrived in the north stayed in tourist accommodation and some 44.53 per cent remained in the area illegally.
According to the figures, hotel occupancy increased by 12 per cent compared to the previous year, reaching 50.8 per cent.
The highest occupancy is 76.7 per cent in hotels of Famagusta, while the lowest occupancy was recorded in Morphou hotels with a mere 1.9 per cent.
Hotels with casinos were 65.7 per cent full and those without a casino just 49 per cent.
A total of 9.5 per cent of Turkish Cypriots visited hotels in the north.
The income from tourism in the region has steadily grown over the years, from €257 million in 2006 to €632.8 in 2015, according to statistics. Traditionally, the number of tourists peak in August, and in August 2015 the hotel occupancy was 75.3 per cent.