Both parents of a three-month-old baby boy who died last month from head injuries are expected to be prosecuted, a police spokesman said on Thursday.
According to the head of the Paphos CID Michalis Ioannou, Attorney-General Costas Clerides ruled that both parents of the baby ought to be prosecuted. After the completion of investigations police sent the file of the case to the state legal services to receive instructions as to how to proceed.
Following instructions of the attorney-general, he said, both the baby’s parents are expected to be prosecuted
The couple, both 29, were arrested four days after the baby died, and were remanded for six days. Their remand was extended by six more days. It expires on Friday. The offences for which the couple will be investigated will be made known then.
Police decided to further investigate the case following the post mortem results. The parents had reported that their son sustained the injuries by falling from a couch but they were arrested after a post mortem revealed that the severity of his injuries was incompatible with a fall from a 70cm high sofa. According to the pathologists in charge of the case such injuries can only be caused by a fall from a greater height.
The baby died on February 22, four days after his father rushed him to Paphos general hospital in a comatose state. Doctors initially declared him dead, saying he had ingested his own vomit but they managed to resuscitate him. He was transferred to Makarios children’s hospital in Nicosia but died later. A head scan showed brain injury and an epidural hematoma.
The couples other two children, aged two and three, are being cared for by the welfare services.