Cyprus Mail
Main

Funerals for four of the missing

THREE separate funerals took place on Saturday of persons who until recently had been missing since the 1974 Turkish invasion.

Siblings Costas Attas, 40, and Charalambos Attas, 24, were buried in Larnaca after their remains were identified in the village of Sinta in Famagusta. The siblings were tending to their farm in Lysi a few days after the village was captured in August 15, and were spotted by Turkish troops who shot them along with four others. All six were buried in a mass grave.

Andreas Kouroufexis, whose remains had been identified in Kornokipos in Famagusta, was also buried on Saturday. Justice Minister Ionas Nicolaou said that the country’s collective consciousness could not forget the acts of sacrifice and selflessness of those who died defending their homes.

The remains of Nicos Demetriou, also found in Kornokipos, were buried at funeral in Nicosia. Both his parents and one of his siblings had died before Demetriou was identified, former government spokesman Stefanos Stefanou said in his speech to the mourners.

Related Posts

Italy bans US-based AI chatbot Replika from using personal data

Reuters News Service

Health minister averts pharmacy strike

Staff Reporter

Smart meter installation date delayed

Iole Damaskinos

Police reject claims of mishandling fighting in Limassol on Sunday (update 2)

Iole Damaskinos

TV show we love: Maestro in Blue

Eleni Philippou

Philip Christopher: President, Pancyprian Association of America (USA)

Paul Lambis

368 comments

Comments are closed.