A fire which started early on Thursday at a supermarket in the Yeroskipou area of Paphos caused around €500,000 worth of damage, police said. The blaze was caused by a short circuit.
The supermarket’s alarm was set off at around 4.30am and alerted members of the fire service and police, who arrived on the scene. From initial examinations carried out at the scene, it is believed the fire started inside the electricity control panel inside the supermarket.
Three fire service vehicles were used to extinguish the fire. No one was injured.
According to the police, members of the fire service and CID from the electromechanical services found there were no signs of a break-in and confirmed the fire was started after a capacitor overheated, causing a short circuit.
The damage is covered by insurance.