Cyprus Mail
Athletics

Blake ruled out of world 100m title defence – manager

By Kayon Raynor

World 100 metres champion Yohan Blake will not defend his title at next month’s World Athletics Championships in Moscow due to a nagging hamstring injury, his manager said on Tuesday.

The 23-year-old Jamaican suffered the injury at the Utech Classic in Kingston in April and missed last month’s Jamaican trials but had qualified for the 100m in Moscow as defending champion.

“This decision was made after continual assessment and re-evaluations since his withdrawal from the Jamaican Senior Championships,” Cubie Seegobin told Reuters.

“Yohan has made vast improvement, although the injury sustained in April of this year has prevented him from attaining the necessary fitness levels that we have grown accustomed to seeing in his competition performances.”

Blake won the world 100m title in Daegu, South Korea, in 2011 following the disqualification of compatriot Usain Bolt for a false start.


Related posts

Australian Open order of play on Saturday

Reuters News Service

Federer survives huge scare to reach last 16 on freaky Friday

Reuters News Service

Solskjaer urges patience with Man United rebuild

Reuters News Service

Title race not over yet, insists Liverpool’s Klopp

Reuters News Service

15-year-old Gauff ends Osaka’s title defence in Melbourne

Reuters News Service

Big-serving Raonic knocks out Tsitsipas in straight sets

Reuters News Service

1 comment

Comments are closed.