FAMAGUSTA police arrested more two men on Friday in connection with the multiple murder case which took place in Ayia Napa in June 2012.
They will appear on court on Saturday for a remand.
The two men, aged 39 and 28, are from Paralimni and are suspected of having been involved in the case, police said. They were arrested after authorities obtained records from a mobile phone that another defendant Demetris Mamalikopoulous had hidden in his cell.
Mamalikopoulos, 29, and Anastasios Tsehelides, 41, have been accused of five counts of murder, one for each victim on the night of June 23 last year. They are accused of the premeditated murder of Philippos Loucaides, 33, Marios Karaoli, 28, Giorgos Georgiou, 35 and Romanians Georgian Katalin Koman, 25 and Marcel Aourel Koleasa, 33, in a central square of Ayia Napa. Four of the victims were working for local businessman Phanos Kalopsidiotis, who Famagusta police believe was the culprits’ real target.
During a session of the Criminal Court in Larnaca on Friday, prosecutor Andreas Aristides said he believed the two men were the defendants’ accomplices.
According to Aristides, following a search on Thursday at the central prisons a small mobile phone device was found in Mamalikopoulous’ possession. He added that five different SIM cards were also found which the defendant had been using and that they had a large catalogue of information on them that was being processed.
Authorities at the central prisons had found a mobile phone last week which was also believed to have been used by Mamalikopoulos, the prosecutor said.
Three hand-written sheets of paper were also found in Tsehelides’ possession and were confiscated. According to reports, as the CID officer was confiscating the paper, the defendant attacked him and tried unsuccessfully to snatch it from his grasp.
Tsehelides’ lawyer Vasilis Bissas, told the court the papers were notes his client was taking from a book on psychology.
The prosecution’s response was to reveal to the court that police headquarters had been informed that a plan was being hatched to help the defendants escape from the Larnaca court.
The prosecution asked the court for an adjournment and the next court date was set for July 30.