Cyprus Mail
Sport

Baghdatis ends five-month losing streak

Cyprus star Marcos Baghdatis

By Nemanja Bjedov
MARCOS Baghdatis recorded his first singles win on the ATP Tour for five months when he beat Slovakian Lukas Lacko 6-7(2), 6-2, 6-4 in the second round of the Citi Open in Washington D.C.
The struggling Cypriot’s last win had come in Rotterdam in February.

Having lost to Lacko in their first two meetings, at Wimbledon in 2010 and last year in Zagreb, the 16th seeded Baghdatis this time came out on top, and he will now take on the winner of the match between second-seed Kei Nishikori of Japan and American hope Jack Sock.

The Limassol native hit nine aces and crucially saved five of the six break points he faced to beat Lacko in just over two hours.

While waiting for his next opponent, 28-year-old Baghdatis committed to the Malaysian Open, which will take place between September 21-28 at the Putra Stadium in Kuala Lumpur.

“Kuala Lumpur has been a special event for me. When I was in the final they really gave me so much support, which I remember well, so I am really looking forward to the event,” said Baghdatis, the World No 44, who will make his fourth Kuala Lumpur appearance with his best performance coming in 2011 when he reached the final.

Related Posts

G7 pledges billions for Ukraine ‘to get through this’ (Update)

Reuters News Service

‘Wagatha Christie’ libel battle is ‘extraordinary’, High Court told

Press Association

Ten years from boom to bust, Chinese football in a tailspin

Tiger back in PGA spotlight, Mickelson still in the shadows

Crestfallen Rangers left to ‘start from zero’ after final loss

Sky-high PGA beer may not cure cancer but may cure a hangover

1 comment

Comments are closed.