EXHUMATIONS for missing persons have begun in Neo Chorio village in the occupied north after human remains were found underneath an olive tree dug up as part of construction work on a new building.
It is believed the remains are those of six Greek Cypriots missing since the Turkish invasion in 1974.
The Greek Cypriot member of the Committee on Missing Persons (CMP) Theofilos Theofilou confirmed to the Cyprus News Agency yesterday that the remains of unknown people were found in the village while construction work was taking place in the area.
Theofilou was asked to comment on information in the Turkish Cypriot press that exhumation work has begun in Neo Chorio following the accidental discovery of human remains.
He said that as soon as the CMP was informed about the presence of remains in the area, a team of archaeologists went to the site and began exhumation work. A DNA test will then determine the identification of the remains.
Theofilou said that the remains are from six people, probably Greek Cypriots recorded as missing persons.
Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper reported yesterday that the remains were found by a bulldozer operator on Sunday during excavation work to put in place the foundations of a building.
Murat Soysal, assistant of the Turkish Cypriot member of the CMP told Kibris that they had been informed two years ago that six Greek Cypriot missing persons were buried in the area, but were unable to achieve a result based on the information due to the lack of eye witnesses.
The mukhtar of the occupied village Sevket Fedai said the remains were found under an olive tree.