Cyprus Mail
Sport

Baghdatis thrashed by Del Potro in Basel

By Nemanja Bjedov
MARCOS Baghdatis was thrashed by top seed Juan Martin Del Potro 6-1, 6-2 in the second round of the Swiss Indoors in Basel on Thursday evening, as his poor season continued.
The Argentine, who had already beaten Baghdatis twice this year in Dubai and Tokyo, broke the Cypriot’s serve two consecutive times in the first set to race into a 5-0 lead after only half an hour of play.
Baghdatis managed to to save five set points while on serve in the sixth game, before Del Potro put him out of his misery.
The 28-year-old Baghdatis, who is currently ranked 97th, managed to hold serve to start the second set, but there was no let up from his big-hitting opponent who broke the Cypriot twice again en route to an easy win.
World No.5 Del Potro will now take on the winner of the all-French duel between Paul-Henri Mathieu and Michael Llodra in the quarter-finals, while Baghdatis has probably played his last tournament of the season unless he tries to enter the main draw at the Paris Masters through the qualifiers.

Related Posts

Arsenal stroll past rock-bottom Newcastle

Reuters News Service

Italy finance police search Juventus offices in player trading probe

Reuters News Service

Italy and Portugal on collision course in World Cup playoffs

Reuters News Service

Infantino says those opposed to World Cup change scared

Reuters News Service

Federer will face ‘reality check’ on return, says Wilander

Reuters News Service

Brazil’s Nuzman sentenced to 30 years in jail for Rio 2016 corruption

Reuters News Service

1 comment

Comments are closed.