Cyprus Mail
Asia World

Philippine president puts typhoon death toll at 2,000 to 2,500

By Andrew RC Marshall and Manuel Mogato
THE death toll from Typhoon Haiyan’s rampage through the Philippines is closer to 2,000 or 2,500 than the 10,000 previously estimated, President Benigno Aquino said Tuesday as US and British warships headed toward his nation to help with relief efforts.
“Ten thousand, I think, is too much,” Aquino told CNN in an interview. “There was emotional drama involved with that particular estimate.”
Aquino said the government was still gathering information from various storm-struck areas and the death toll may rise.
“We’re hoping to be able to contact something like 29 municipalities left wherein we still have to establish their numbers, especially for the missing, but so far 2,000, about 2,500, is the number we are working on as far as deaths are concerned,” he said.
The official death toll stood at 1,774 Tuesday.
Philippine officials have been overwhelmed by Haiyan, one of the strongest typhoons on record, which tore through the central Philippines on Friday and flattened Tacloban, coastal capital of Leyte province where officials had feared 10,000 people died, many drowning in a tsunami-like wall of seawater.
Aquino revealed the lower estimated toll after the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS George Washington set sail for the Philippines carrying about 5,000 sailors and more than 80 aircraft to accelerate relief efforts. It was joined by four other US Navy ships and should arrive in two to three days, the Pentagon said.
“The weather is pretty bad out there, so we are limited by seas and wind,” Captain Thomas Disy, commander of the USS Antietam, a missile cruiser that is part of the carrier group, said in Hong Kong. “But we are going to be going as fast as we possibly can.”
Relief supplies poured into Tacloban along roads flanked with corpses and canyons of debris as the rain fell again. Rescue workers scrambled to reach other towns and villages still cut off, which could reveal the full extent of the casualties and devastation.
“There are hundreds of other towns and villages stretched over thousands of kilometres that were in the path of the typhoon and with which all communication has been cut,” said Natasha Reyes, emergency coordinator in the Philippines at Médecins Sans Frontières.
“No one knows what the situation is like in these more rural and remote places, and it’s going to be some time before we have a full picture.”
She described the devastation as unprecedented for the Philippines, a disaster-prone archipelago of more than 7,000 islands that sees about 20 typhoons a year, likening the storm to “a massive earthquake followed by huge floods.”
About 660,000 people have been displaced and many have no access to food, water or medicine, the United Nations said.
Britain is also sending a navy warship with equipment to make drinking water from seawater and a military transport aircraft. The HMS Daring left Singapore and expects to arrive in two or three days.
World Bank President Jim Yong Kim said the development lender was considering boosting its conditional cash transfer programme for the Philippines in the wake of the storm.
Aquino has declared a state of national calamity and deployed hundreds of soldiers in Tacloban, a once-vibrant port city of 220,000 that is now a wasteland without any sign of a government, as city and hospital workers focus on saving their families and securing food.
“Basically, the only branch of government that is working here is the military,” Philippine Army Major Ruben Guinolbay said. “That is not good. We are not supposed to take over government.”
Tacloban’s government was wiped out by the storm, said Interior Secretary Manuel Roxas. Officials were dead, missing or too overcome with grief to work. Of the city’s 293 police officers, only 20 had shown up for duty, he said.
Corazon Soliman, Secretary of the Philippine Department of Social Welfare and Development, said aid had reached a third of Tacloban’s 45,000 families. Most of its stores remain closed – either destroyed or shut after widespread looting.
“Those that opened saw their goods wiped out of their shelves right away,” Soliman said.
Residents told terrifying accounts of being swept away by a surge of water in a city hopelessly unprepared for power of Haiyan, known in the Philippines as Yolanda.
Some stayed behind to protect their property, including Marivel Saraza, 39, who moved her six children farther inland before Haiyan struck, but stayed behind to look after her home only a stone’s throw from the sea.
She ended up battling through chest-high water to reach higher ground, while the storm surge destroyed her two-storey concrete home.
“My house just dissolved in the water,” she said.

Related posts

EU regulator endorses use of Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine in teens

Australia tightens Sydney lockdown in ‘national emergency’ Covid-19 scare

Websites of airlines, banks, tech companies back online after brief global outage

Anger over Covid rules gives new impetus to France’s Yellow Vests

Parliamentary inquiry urges UK-wide minimum standard protocol for head injuries

China rejects WHO plan for study of Covid-19 origin

1 comment

Comments are closed.