Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Eight years for robbery of jewellers

A Pontian Greek man has been sentenced to eight years in jail by the Criminal Court which convened in Larnaca on Friday for his part in the armed robbery of a father and son who are jewellers, in October last year in Pervolia.

Ioannis Kilinkarides, 32, had admitted to police that he had conspired with another two men to rob the jewellers.

Father and son had reported to police on October 24 last year that they had been on the road from Psevda to Lymbia to meet a woman so they could purchase jewellery. Kilinkarides was also in the vehicle with the two men and had told them he had arranged the deal.

According to reports they were cut off by another vehicle and three hooded men exited carrying a pistol and bats, grabbed the jewellery worth €20,000, the car keys and the two men’s mobile phones.

Due to the severity of the charges against Kilinkarides, the court said that sentencing would need to be harsh in order to send out a message.

The case against Varnavas Stavrou, 30, from Mosfiloti who is suspected of being one of the robbers has been set for next Friday, December 13. Another man suspected of being one of the robbers was Jamal Mohammed, 22, from Syria who was originally arrested by police but later released and later left the island.

 

Related Posts

Presidential undersecretary Palmas resigns

Staff Reporter

Cyprus said to be close to selecting new defensive weapons systems

Elias Hazou

Local government reform heading to plenum

Elias Hazou

Coronavirus: No deaths, 2,536 people test positive on Thursday (Updated)

Staff Reporter

Cyprus marks Holocaust Remembrance Day

Staff Reporter

Traditional clothes and lace centre of ongoing exhibitions

Eleni Philippou

1 comment

Comments are closed.