Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Three held after shooting incident in Larnaca over stolen mobile phone

A 51-YEAR-OLD Cypriot man shot and injured a 30-year old Israeli-born citizen on Monday in Larnaca, after accusing him of stealing his mobile phone, police said.

The incident took place in Phaneromeni Avenue near the elementary school of Ayios Lazaros, around 12.30pm.

According to the police report, the 51-year old realised upon returning to his unlocked car that his mobile phone had been stolen. Police said he asked around and was given the description of two men, who he was told, had taken his mobile phone.

The 51-year-old drove around when he spotted the two men confronted them while holding his hunting shotgun. The two men ran and the 51-year old shot at them, injuring the 30-year-old Israeli in the lower back.

The victim was rushed to Famagusta general hospital where he is treated for a gunshot to the lower back area.

The Cypriot and the two Israeli men were arrested.

According to the Charalambos Zachariou, a spokesperson for Larnaca police, the 51-year-old was charged with attempted murder and illegal transportation, and for discharging of a firearm. The 30-year-old Israeli was charged with theft.

Although it’s hunting season (November 3 to January 4) it’s illegal to transport an assembled hunting rifle. Hunters are required to carry them dissembled and assemble them upon reaching the hunting area.

According to Zachariou, the Israeli man refused to cooperate with police and a rabbi was called in to convince him to speak with the authorities.

A synagogue is situated near where the shooting took place.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Related posts

After flash Larnaca flood, public urged to prepare properties for winter rains

Jean Christou

State censured for paying rural priests’ salaries for nearly 50 years

Elias Hazou

Majority of politically exposed persons failed to file tax returns on time

Elias Hazou

Port workers strike over health insurance coverage demands

Gina Agapiou

New misery for Nicosia drivers as part of Kyriacos Matsis Avenue closed off

Annette Chrysostomou

European Commission allocates €35.4m in aid for Turkish Cypriot community

Staff Reporter

1 comment

Comments are closed.