By George Psylides
PRIMARY school teachers decided yesterday to suspend the measures announced late last month over the ministry of education’s plans to reform their appointment system.
The decision followed a meeting with president Nicos Anastasiades on Tuesday.
The first in a series of measures they had announced, was a two-hour strike that was scheduled to take place yesterday.
The teachers’ union POED said the decision was based on the assurances they received from Anastasiades that no new appointment scheme will be rolled out unless it was the result of consultations between the parties.
The union said a dialogue will be conducted with the education ministry and will have a broad timeframe in a bid to help the effort.
POED said that the ministry’s positions regarding the teacher appointment reform appeared vague and contradictory during a recent meeting.
The union is also unhappy with the ministry’s refusal to exclude contract teachers from the appointment reform.
The plan was to implement the reforms by 2015, a first step to change the current state of a waiting list, whereby candidates are selected for appointment based on the seniority on that list, and not on merit.
Teachers’ unions believe that the reform is unfair to contract teachers, who should be included on the government’s permanent payroll before it proceeds with further appointments.