Cyprus Mail
CyprusCyprus Talks

Latest GC proposal rejected by TCs

The Turkish Cypriot side has rejected the Greek Cypriot’s side latest proposal regarding a joint statement aimed at kick-starting a new round of talks on the Cyprus problem.

The Greek Cypriot negotiating team were informed by the United Nations that the most recent proposal regarding a joint statement had been rejected by the Turkish Cypriots, while no counter proposal was submitted by them.

Following this development, President Nicos Anastasiades has called a meeting of the national council for Wednesday morning to discuss the Greek Cypriot side’s next step.

Head of the President’s diplomatic office, Nicos Christodoulides told the public broadcaster CyBC that efforts would continue to formulate a joint statement and that a deadlock had not been reached.

“The President remains steadfast in his opinions that a joint statement is required,” he said.

He added that the aim was not to just begin talks but the prospect of reaching a conclusion.

“For three months now we can’t even seem to agree on issuing a joint statement so you can imagine if we had entered into discussions without putting down certain conditions that we could hit a dead end within a month,” Christodoulides said.

He added that there was no Plan B but rather that the plan is for the two sides to begin negotiations so a solution can be found.

Related Posts

Bank of Cyprus announces voluntary retirement scheme

Kyriacos Nicolaou

Ozersay accuses Tatar of using his ideas on cooperation

Gina Agapiou

Church close to securing ‘OK’ for luxury hotel

Elias Hazou

Fire breaks out in Akaki-Meniko area

Employment and production value fell in Cypriot industrial sector in 2020

Source: Cyprus News Agency

Hospital A&E staff to go on strike for 3 hours

4 comments

Comments are closed.