Cyprus Mail
News in Brief

Mother of two critical after house fire

 

 

A mother of two from Britain was in critical condition on Tuesday after suffering burns during a fire at her home in Peyia on Monday.

The 46-year-old permanent resident suffered third degree burns to 50 per cent of her body when a blaze broke out in one of the bedrooms at 6.30pm on Monday.

She was rushed to Paphos general hospital and later transferred to Nicosia general due to the severity of her injuries.

The children, aged six and nine, were not injured but were kept at Paphos hospital as a precaution.

According to Paphos police spokesperson Spiros Papamichael, preliminary reports indicate that the fire was caused by a candle left burning on a nightstand.

Papamichael told the press that the fire department arrived to the scene only to find out the fire had been put out by an off-duty police officer.

“There was smoke everywhere, the situation was very difficult. The woman was found unconscious in her upstairs bedroom, lying on her back”, Papamichael told the press, adding that the woman had to be resuscitated in the ambulance and then rushed to hospital.

According to Papamichael, the children were woken by the fire and ran next door to get help.

They live alone with their mother after their father was killed in a traffic accident.

Papamichael appealed to the public asking people to not leave candles burning after they go to sleep and to make sure that all electronic devices are switched off.



Related posts

Beer consumption up in July

Staff Reporter

Police crack down on child pornography

Elias Hazou

Reported missing since Wednesday

Evie Andreou

Worker in serious condition after fall from roof

Evie Andreou

Pair arrested for harassing ‘foster mum’ of stray dogs

Staff Reporter

Arrest over phone theft

Andria Kades

1 comment

Comments are closed.