By George Psyllides
FORMER Central Bank governor Christodoulos Christodoulou denied once more any wrongdoing in connection with an allegedly huge money transfer into his daughter’s business account, as a newspaper reported that his home and other places had been searched by police last week.
Christodoulou said he was the target of slanderous reports that were aimed at character assassination.
“At this stage I will merely express my repulsion once again for the attempt to morally assassinate me,” he said in a written statement.
Daily Politis reported that Christodoulou’s home had been searched by police last Friday as part of an investigation into the transfer of €1m from a Greek ship owner’s account to that of a company headed by his daughter.
The company’s office, as well as a location belonging to his former son-in-law, were also searched, the newspaper said.
Politis said that investigators had seized a number of items including documents, computers and external memory devices.
The former CBC boss has previously claimed that the money was a down payment for consultancy services to have been provided over ten years.
He also submitted a copy of an agreement between his daughter’s company and Focus, a company belonging to Michalis Zolotas.
Zolotas is said to be a close associate of former Laiki strongman Andreas Vgenopoulos whom many hold responsible for the collapse of the island’s banking system.
Authorities have been investigating the transfer, which took place in July 2007, from Focus to the company of Athina Christodoulou, less than two months after her father left the office of CBC governor.
The transfer in question was allegedly made to the company’s Athens-based bank account in July 2007.
Around two years later, the €1m plus interest was then allegedly transferred to an account in Laiki Bank.
Christodoulou said he was and remained “honest and sincere” and could look his compatriots in the eye.
“It is others who should be ashamed of their deeds,” he said.