By Constantinos Psillides
A 29-YEAR-OLD man was arrested on Saturday in connection with the shoot-out that took place in Peristerona village, in the Nicosia district on February 28, according to police spokesman Andreas Angelides.
Angelides said police were led to the suspect after a witness implicated him in the shooting. He faces charges of conspiring to commit a felony, attempted murder and illegal transportation of a gun and ammunition.
A suspect who was already in custody in connection with the case has been released, said the police spokesman.
“The 29-year-old says he knows nothing about the case. We have already completed a large part of the interrogation work but our investigation continues. If any other evidence comes up you can rest assured that there will be more arrests,” said Angelides.
Asked whether the police had a clear indication yet of what transpired the night of the shoot-out, Angelides said police were investigating two possible murder attempts. “As far as motive is concerned, the investigation is ongoing and we are expecting that through witness accounts we will establish precisely what happened that night,” he said.
The shoot-out took place outside a restaurant in Peristerona on the night of February 28. Two suspects, Giorgos Zavrantonas and Koullis Koshiaris, were found injured outside a restaurant at around 8.30pm.
Police arrested the pair, as well as two other suspects who accompanied them. Authorities were treating the incident as a murder attempt but it was not immediately clear who was trying to kill whom.
Another aspect puzzling authorities was the fact that Zavrantonas was meant to be abroad as part of the witness protection programme.
Zavrantonas had been in jail for attempted murder but was freed after he gave police information about other crimes.
It is thought that he returned to Cyprus through the north.