Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Eco Bros to take on ‘tough mudder’ challenge for charity

By Alexia Evripidou

TWO brothers from Limassol will take on a mud, fire and eel-shaped ‘assault course’ in the UK next weekend to help raise funds for a children’s charity.

On April 26, ‘Eco Bros’ Alexis and Andreas Economidou will take part in the physically and mentally challenging ‘Tough Mudder’ event in London to raise money for the Child Development Centre ‘To Alma’, a project of the Theotokos Foundation. The target is to raise €4300 to buy a MOTOmed ergometer for the centre.

Niki Kameri, Director of ‘To Alma’, told the Cyprus Mail that “the MOTOmed would be an important addition to the centre’s equipment which will help improve the children’s physical wellbeing, whilst giving them joy.”

But the pro-active brothers love a challenge.

According to their Facebook page, they helped raise over €3,000 for the centre in 2010 wearing a joined single T-shirt, whilst running three-legged in the Cyprus Marathon. This time, the bar has been raised higher and they hope to raise more money through sponsorship to buy the bike-like machine.

“We have the chance to do something wonderful and help some sweet children have a better quality of life,” they wrote on Facebook.

The ‘Eco Bros’ will have to undergo boot camp like resistance training with high cardiovascular exercises, to be prepared for what is advertised as ‘possibly the hardest event on the planet’.

‘Tough Mudder’ which is set to put the brothers through the trenches with intense obstacles carried out in varied terrains, will test both their wit and ability to the maximum.

Challenges such as running over fire, carrying logs uphill, crawling through mud, jumping into icy water and wading through electric-like eels, is not a task for the faint hearted.

The Theotokos charity receives 55% of its funding from the government to spread over several projects. However, the remaining 45% needs to be raised through charitable events and donations.

As an Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) centre, it supports children up to 8 years old with developmental disabilities or delays and their families.

Alexis and Andreas Economidou want to spread the word that no donation is too small and all people or companies that donate will be mentioned in the newspapers. “Every cent will greatly improve our chances of reaching the €4,300 target”.

Visit their Facebook page for details:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1418040958455847/


Related posts

Syria: the most complex conflict of our time

Elias Hazou

Couple arrested after trying to travel with passports not theirs

Staff Reporter

Man in serious condition after falling three metres while climbing up to his apartment

Staff Reporter

Nicosia lights up for Christmas (photos)

Staff Reporter

Athens tells Ankara hubris is the choice of those who can’t accept their own history (Update 1)

Jean Christou

Cyprus’ green credentials only on paper?

Nick Theodoulou