Cyprus Mail
Cyprus Education

Run down Paphos school will close

Education Minister Costas Kadis

By Bejay Browne

The ministry of education has said that a run down Paphos gymnasium would be closed and the pupils moved to another school to complete their studies.

The decision has sealed the fate of Nikolaideio gymnasium which has hung in the balance for over a decade.

Prior to the move, Paphos Mayor Savvas Vergas said that parents and pupils had proposed  to the ministry that the Nikolaideio leave the current building as it was dangerous, a new building to house the Nikolaideio should be constructed in the centre of Paphos and thirdly the Kykkos Lyceum should remain open.

But an official statement for the ministry said that as of the next academic year (2014-2015) pupils at the stricken gymnasium would be relocated to the Lyceum of Kykkou Paphos for the next two years.

The ministry said this was the best solution to the current situation. Other alternatives had been closely examined, but weren’t deemed as suitable. It noted that the decision was based purely on what was best for the children.

The ministry took into account a number of relevant factors including the quality of life of pupils attending the school and the need to avoid the use of prefabricated halls, the timetable for implementation of any proposed solution – the matter needed to be solved before September, the optimal use of available school sites in the region and the cost of any proposed solution. “The solution ultimately chosen outperforms any other in all the above criteria,” it said.

In the meantime, Maria Zavrou the head of the Paphos schools’ committee spoke to the Cyprus Mail: “We believe this move is a bad choice for Paphos as we need a school to remain in the centre of the town. We are now planning on how to move the school and further discussing the outcome from the ministry.”

In 2004, the ministry of education suggested that the school merge with Kykkos Lyceum, an idea which was vehemently opposed by parents and teachers.

Due to strong arguments against the proposal the subject was put on hold.

The ministry said it would monitor the numbers and if necessary another school might possibly constructed in the area if warranted somewhere down the line.

The mayor previously said that as the school had become dangerous it would probably need to be demolished in the long run.

 

 

 



Related posts

Coronavirus: 10 new cases recorded on Sunday

Katy Turner

Calls to speed up review of complaints against lawyers 

Evie Andreou

Police warn of traffic disruption during Greek president’s visit

Katy Turner

Teachers unions say discussion still needed on distance learning

Katy Turner

‘I love Lebanon as much as I love Cyprus’

George Eid CM Correspondent

Politicians remaining silent about art teacher so don’t lose votes says Archbishop

Katy Turner

1 comment

Comments are closed.