A DRILL for the management of a suspected case of Ebola is planned to take place at the beginning of September, the Health ministry said on Tuesday.
The ministry reassured that even though the situation is serious in countries where Ebola has broken out there is no reason to worry in Cyprus as the country has taken all appropriate measures and can intensify them when and if needed.
“Frequent communication has been established with the World Health Organisation (WHO), the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) and the Health Security Committee (HSC),” the ministry said. Members of the ministry participate in teleconferences of the HSC and ECDC for coordination with other EU countries for the purposes of contribution and preparedness.
“Arrangements have been made to send samples of suspected cases to the Haemorrhagic Fever Reference and Research centre in Hamburg,” the announcement said.
The ministry also said the Action Plan that has been drafted to deal with cases of Ebola has been given to the breakaway regime in the north, upon their request through the health technical committees.
“Furthermore, there have been meetings between the medical services and public health services and the Infection Committees, the managers of public hospitals, representatives of private hospitals, professional health organisations and the health services of the National Guard,” the announcement said.
The ministry has also activated the action plan and has sent instructions of the WHO and the International Air Transport Association (IATA) to the ports and airports of the country to deal with possible imported case of the Ebola virus at the points of entry.
“The process of a possible repatriation of Cypriot citizens from affected countries has also been agreed,” the announcement said.
The ministry has also held a broad meeting earlier in the month with the participation of all involved state services and ministries, having as a goal the national coordination, information and creation of common action protocols in dealing with suspected or confirmed cases of Ebola.
The Ebola outbreak, which was reported to have begun from Liberia in March, has so far claimed 1,229 deaths among the 2,240 people infected.