Australian Daniel Ricciardo won the Belgian Grand Prix for Red Bull on Sunday while Nico Rosberg finished second to extend his championship lead over Mercedes team mate Lewis Hamilton to 29 points.
Hamilton passed pole-sitter Rosberg at the start but his hopes were dashed when the two made contact on the second lap as Rosberg tried to retake the lead, slashing Hamilton’s rear tyre with his front wing.
Hamilton made it back to the pits but struggled with a damaged car from then on and finally retired five laps from the end after repeatedly asking to stop.
Finland’s Valtteri Bottas was third for Williams. The win was Ricciardo’s third in 12 Formula One races so far this season and second in a row.
It was also his team’s second in succession in Belgium after world champion Sebastian Vettel triumphed last year.
Driver and constructor standings after the Formula One Belgian Grand Prix at Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
1. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Mercedes 220
2. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) Mercedes 191
3. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) Red Bull 156
4. Fernando Alonso (Spain) Ferrari 119
5. Valtteri Bottas (Finland) Williams 110
6. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) Red Bull 98
7. Nico Huelkenberg (Germany) Force India 69
8. Jenson Button (Britain) McLaren 66
9. Kevin Magnussen (Denmark) McLaren 45
10. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Williams 40
1. Mercedes 411
2. RedBull – Renault 254
3. Ferrari 158
4. Williams-Mercedes 150
5. McLaren 111
6. Force India – Mercedes 100
7. Toro Rosso – Renault 18
8. Lotus – Renault 8
9. Marussia – Ferrari 2
10. Sauber – Ferrari 0