Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Only six Syrian refugees seek asylum

File photo. The reception centre in Kokkinotrimithia

ONLY six of the more than 300 Syrians rescued three weeks ago off the Cyprus coast have applied for asylum, with three of them unaccompanied minors, according to the Cyprus News Agency (CNA).

The majority of the refugees are still hosted in a former army barracks in Kokkinotrimithia, and their aim is to depart to other European countries, while a small number, mainly families, have already left.

Interior Minister Socratis Hasikos had said last week that the Syrian refugees have been granted temporary residence permits and that they are entitled to travel to other countries provided that they get all the required visas and that in the case they don’t apply for visas for the countries they intend to travel to, they will be sent back to Cyprus.

To facilitate their movement to and from Kokkinotrimithia, a bus departs from the barracks every morning and returns at night.

The refugees had sailed from Syria and were headed to Italy when they found themselves in rough seas and put out a distress signal.

They initially refused to disembark the cruise ship that rescued them 50 nautical miles off the coast of Paphos on September 25 and insisted they be taken to Italy. Many said they wanted to go to Sweden, Germany, Holland and Denmark.

Related Posts

North asks for electricity as power station runs out of fuel

Antigoni Pitta

Ambassadors acknowledge dire situation after Pournara visit

Neophytou unveils 100-point plan to modernise Cyprus

Elias Hazou

Progress made on bill which would release €85m by EU

Elias Hazou

Travel chaos to subside soon says industry boss

Nick Theodoulou

Music inspired by Cyprus’ music and dialect

Eleni Philippou

16 comments

Comments are closed.