Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Beach closed after dummy mine spotted

Residents near Konnos beach in Paralimni, Famagusta district, had a mild scare on Tuesday, after a fake underwater mine was spotted just off the coast, leading the bomb squad to close the beach.
The mine was reported at around 3pm by water sports owners who thought it could be real.
Bomb squad officers sealed off the area and collected the mine, only to discover it was a dummy, left over from WWII according to Famagusta Police spokesman Giorgos Economou.
“The bomb squad checked the object and concluded there was no danger. The mine doesn’t carry an explosive load and is actually only a fake,” said Economou.
The Famagusta police spokesman explained that mines like these were thrown in along with the live ones to throw off enemy ships.


Related posts

Greens not convinced by authorities’ explanations over dead flamingos

Evie Andreou

Cyprus problem solution a necessity, says Akinci

Evie Andreou

Conflict over mosque area revamp

Evie Andreou

Only few calls so far to the Cypriot MFA for information on coronavirus (Update)

Source: Cyprus News Agency

The long road to justice

Jonathan Shkurko

Roads to Troodos are now open (Update 2)

Evie Andreou

1 comment

Comments are closed.