Cyprus Mail
Crime

Teen murder suspect in court on arson and theft charges

The Larnaca murder scene

The 17-year old from Larnaca accused of killing 22-year old British Cypriot Michael Mina on November 16, appeared in court on Thursday to answer three cases of property arson, car theft and non compliance with a community service order imposed for a previous offence.

The hearing was postponed until January 12 when welfare officers will appear to testify. The murder trial is due to begin on January 15. The 17-year-old is being held at the Nicosia central prisons until the trial date. He faces a life sentence on pre-meditated murder charges.

The teen admitted to stabbing the British Cypriot outside the victim’s apartment in the Makenzie area, in the early hours of November 16. The two had personal differences and the teenager had been dating the victim’s former girlfriend.

He maintains that he killed the victim in self-defence, telling police that Mina called him and arranged for a meeting so they could settle their differences. He told investigators that the victim also pulled a knife on him and that he was only defending himself.

 



Related posts

Young hacker’s extradition appeal postponed

Elias Hazou

Leaders condemn ‘unacceptable’ meeting on opening up Varosha

Evie Andreou

Cost of Cyprus stalemate constantly increasing, says World Bank

Jean Christou

Diko goes green, lambasting government’s environmental policies

Jean Christou

Health minister: Cyprus taking every possible measure for coronavirus

Jonathan Shkurko

Minister reassures Vergina school parents that heating issues will be solved

Annette Chrysostomou

5 comments

Comments are closed.