By Elias Hazou
POLICE on Thursday questioned a Greek national believed to be linked to the Paphos Sewerage Board scandal.
Christos Drakopoulos gave a two-hour deposition to Cypriot police investigators. The deposition took place at the Cypriot embassy in Athens.
He told the Cypriot officers he was available for any further questioning, news reports said.
Drakopoulos had been set to arrive in Cyprus on Wednesday, but investigators decided that it would serve the case better if they visited him in Greece.
The businessman contacted authorities through his lawyer, upon being informed that a warrant would be issued for his arrest.
Cyprus police had an international warrant for his arrest standing by in case he absconded.
Drakopoulos’ company Εnvitec SA was awarded a tender to build a waste treatment plant in 2007.
He is expected to be a key witness in the case and it has been alleged he is one of several contractors who paid ex-mayor of Paphos Savvas Vergas and Sewerage Board Manager Eftihios Malekkides large amounts of money in kickbacks.
Vergas and Malekkides are currently in police custody.
The sewerage project that Vergas and Malekkides were handling should have cost €78m, but taxpayers have so far paid €109m, with contractors claiming around €25m more. The two men are suspected of inflating the project’s budget in order to receive kickbacks from contractors.