Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Appeal filed in Paphos remand refusal

Paphos District Court

The legal services have filed an appeal with the Supreme Court for the rejection of its remand request of three individuals, in connection with a case of alleged financial corruption at the Paphos Sewerage Board (PSB).
The remand requests had been filed for AKEL’s Paphos municipal councilman Giorgos Shailis, Medcon Construction CEO Andreas Chimarrides and Nemesis Construction’s managing director Kyriacos Chrysochos, but were denied by the Paphos District Court last Sunday.
The three were arrested on Saturday after former Paphos mayor Savvas Vergas implicated them in the bribery and misappropriation scandal in his statement.
He had said that a group of individuals had conspired to charge extra – and unnecessary – work to the PSB, sharing the spoils between them, and named himself, PSB director Eftichios Malekkides, various municipal councilmen and contractors as members of the ring.
Legal Services argued that rejecting the remand requests obstructed the work of investigators, which requires the corroboration of strengthening of available testimony.
Meanwhile, the legal services was meeting Friday morning, attended by deputy Attorney-general Rikkos Erotocritou and the team of investigators.
The meeting will host a review of the evidence collected thus far, in light of the fact that the remands of the three already held in connection with the case – Vergas, Malekkides, and former DISY councilman Yiorgos Michaelides – expire on Saturday.


Related posts

Big November haul for customs

Peter Michael

Moves to drag UN into municipal merger dispute

Nick Theodoulou

Official lighting of Nicosia Christmas tree

Gina Agapiou

Wrongful arrest of Omonia fans ‘unfortunate’

Peter Michael

Energy ministry says special subsidies for RES abolished in 2015

Evie Andreou

Pathologist finds evidence to support British woman’s rape claim

Staff Reporter

2 comments

Comments are closed.