THREE 17-YEAR-OLD students were remanded for three days on Friday in connection with a case of assault and battery of a 15-year-old fellow student in Paphos.
After the incident, the victim, a student from Emba Lyceum, was hospitalised with head injuries on Friday.
Police said that doctors confirmed the boy had been hit and punched on various parts of his body, as well as his head.
The incident reportedly began when the 15-year-old objected when the three older students told him to get up from the bench he was sitting on in the school yard so that they could sit down. When he stood up he was hit in the face and body.
Teachers stepped in to end the fight, but the students continued the quarrel in the toilets.
According to the police the fight initially began between the victim and one of the older boys but later the other two joined in.
The three remanded expressed their regret and said that they had not meant to cause the 15-year-old any harm and that they wish to reconcile, police said.
Members of the education ministry visited the student in hospital and went to the school to investigate the case.
The chairman of the Paphos secondary and technical education parents’ association Vasos Vasileiou condemned the incident.
Vasileiou told the Cyprus News Agency that violent incidents in schools are common but that in cooperation with the education ministry various seminars are being organised to raise awareness against practices of bullying and acts of violence in schools, which parents, students and teachers attend.
Last year, Justice Minister Ionas Nicolaou had said the number of reported cases of bullying, cyberbullying or violence across the education system – primary, secondary and technical schools – had reached “alarming proportions”.
From the 913 reported incidents in 2012, the figure had reached 1,846 in 2013.