Cyprus Mail
World

Ex-IMF head Strauss-Kahn denies ‘frenetic’ activity at alleged sex parties (Update 2)

By Alexandria Sage

Dominique Strauss-Kahn took the witness stand on Tuesday to testify about his alleged role in sex parties with prostitutes, saying the frequency of the evenings had been wildly exaggerated.

The 65-year-old former head of the International Monetary Fund is accused of instigating about a dozen parties he knew involved prostitutes between 2008-2011 in the northern French city of Lille, Washington, Brussels and Paris.

“When you read the criminal complaint you get the impression it was this frenetic activity,” Strauss-Kahn, wearing a sober black suit and grey tie, told the court.

“But it was four times a year, not more than that. It wasn’t this out-of-control activity.”

Speaking swiftly and confidently, he told the court that at that stage in his career he still had “political ambitions” and that his work at the IMF was an “important job”.

Strauss-Kahn was tipped to become French president before being accused of sexual assault by a New York hotel chambermaid in 2011. US criminal charges were dropped with allegations that he participated in a French sex ring emerging later.

Several topless protesters from the FEMEN group with slogans painted in black on their chests and torsos had earlier thrown themselves on Strauss-Kahn’s car as it arrived at court before being pulled away by police.

Strauss-Kahn’s lawyers acknowledge their client took part in sex parties but say he did not know the women were prostitutes and so reject the charge against him of pimping, or in legal terms “procuring with aggravating circumstances”.

Strauss-Kahn, who says his political career is already over, could face 10 years in prison and a fine of up to 1.5 million euros ($1.72 million) if convicted.

Investigating magistrates who sent the matter to trial say the procuring charge applies because in France it covers any activity seen as facilitating prostitution. In Strauss-Kahn’s case, it is alleged that he allowed his rented apartment to be used for sex parties involving prostitutes and that the parties were organised for his benefit.

Moreover, because the charges say he did not pay the prostitutes himself, he is alleged to have received benefit in kind from prostitution.

The three-week trial began last week. Strauss-Kahn was responding on Tuesday for the first time to the testimony of two former prostitutes who say they participated in the parties.

Fourteen people in all, including Strauss-Kahn, are defendants in the “Carlton Affair” trial, so named after the hotel in Lille that sparked the investigation into a sex ring.

Strauss-Kahn, who was French finance minister in the late 1990s and headed the IMF from 2007, had been expected to run for French president in 2012 but withdrew after being accused of sexual assault by chambermaid Nafissatou Diallo.

That allowed Socialist Francois Hollande to come forward and beat conservative incumbent Nicolas Sarkozy.

After the criminal charges were dropped, he settled civil proceedings brought against him by Diallo in New York.


Related posts

Lebanon PM Hariri agrees reform package in bid to resolve economic crisis

Reuters News Service

EU’s incoming economy chief calls for less restrictive budget policies

Reuters News Service

Sheep take over streets of Madrid for annual migration

Reuters News Service

Petrol bombs and tear gas scar HK streets as police, protesters clash

Reuters News Service

Brexit will happen on Oct. 31 despite PM’s unsigned delay request, UK says

Reuters News Service

EU plays for time as Johnson spars with UK parliament on Brexit

Reuters News Service

7 comments

Comments are closed.