Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Ministers nix Paphos-Polis motorway… for now

Construction of the Paphos to Polis motorway cannot go ahead under the current circumstances, Transport Minister Marios Demetriades said on Thursday, after a meeting with his colleagues from the ministries of interior and agriculture.

The minister said it was decided to keep the part that has not been appropriated as a white zone — no development – and reassess the project at a more suitable time.

The project has been on hold for years, mainly due to its high cost.

The original idea for the road dates from 2000, although plans for it have been on and off the shelf since then.

Local authorities have been pushing for the new road as a way of boosting the region’s tourism. They also say the current road is dangerous.

Questions have been raised however, – including by the Scientific and Technical Chamber – on the broader usefulness of the project, which would see just eight minutes shaved off the travelling time between Paphos and Polis.

The motorway was billed as most expensive road project ever implemented, with the reported price tag – at the time of the first attempt – ranging between €700 million to €900 million.

The original plans included three tunnels, seven bridges, eight grade separated interchanges and 25 underpasses.

 


Related posts

Bad weather forces Wizz Air landing at Paphos

Staff Reporter

Civil servants add to list of demands as they seek return of pre-crisis benefits

George Psyllides

Supreme court rejects sentence reduction for man who shot son

Jonathan Shkurko

Buffering the arts

Eleni Philippou

Fresh remand for man accused of producing child porn

Evie Andreou

Drugs gather dust in hospital pharmacies while patients run short

Annette Chrysostomou

27 comments

Comments are closed.