Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

New bomb attack in Paphos (Updated)

The offences

By Bejay Browne

Paphos municipality came under attack again on Sunday night when a makeshift bomb was detonated at the adjacent municipality gardens for the second time in less than a week

According to police the incident occurred at around 8pm on Sunday evening and caused no injuries or damage to buildings or the park.

Paphos police spokesman Nicos Tsiappis confirmed that the incident was being investigated and may be connected to the explosion of a low grade device in a similar area at 28th of October park on Thursday night and a further explosion a couple of months ago.

“It seems as if these incidents are more of a warning and to make trouble. The cases are similar and it seems possible that one person is responsible.”

Tsiappis said that as yet police don’t have a suspect but added that no further information was available as the scene is being examined.

Municipality workers appeared undeterred by the explosions and one employee, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that the incidents are intended to ‘create noise’ rather than to maim or injure.

“I would be scared if I considered these incidents as serious but they are small explosions and shouldn’t even be called bombs.”

The employee said that the ‘bomb’ was in fact made from the small portable gas canister used to make Cyprus coffee.

“These devices are being set off during the hours when no-one is there. I believe that if they wanted to cause harm to the people, they would have done so by now.”

However, Paphos police are taking measures to prevent further damage, and ensure the safety of the mayor and employees, said Tsiappis. These include stepping up a police presence in the area of the town hall and municipal garden.

“There will be an increase in police patrols and we are also co-operating with the municipality.”

The employee said: “The mayor is doing a very good job so far and I hope that it continues. He is very busy trying to straighten everything out and I’m sure he will continue to do so.”

Paphos mayor Phedonas Phedonos won a recent by-election and promised to clean up the town and improve its tarnished image after former mayor, Savvas Vergas, admitted a raft of charges connected to the construction of the town’s sewerage system (SAPA) and  was handed a six-year prison sentence on charges of corruption and money laundering. Vergas is also on trial for allegedly sending threatening text messages to witnesses in a case involving a prominent land developer in Paphos.

Phedonos succeeded Vergas in the by-election, shortly after the former mayor resigned his post. On Friday he said he would not be deterred from cleaning up the municipality, following the explosion of a device behind the town hall on Thursday night.

Both Phedonos and the municipal secretary Themis Filippides were in their offices at the time of Sunday’s explosion preparing work for the week ahead.

 

 



Related posts

Coronavirus: GC man finally laid to rest in native Ayia Triada 20 days after passing

Staff Reporter

Coronavirus: boats allowed back in business, horse racing too but no spectators   

Evie Andreou

Coronavirus: two new cases, ‘particularly optimistic’ picture, experts say (Updated)

Staff Reporter

Coronavirus: doctors told closely monitor use of chloroquine for Covid if patients have heart issues

Evie Andreou

Man jailed for grievous bodily harm

Jonathan Shkurko

Coronavirus: kindergartens could reopen at start of June, adviser says

Jonathan Shkurko

50 comments

Comments are closed.