Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Youths lose hands in firecracker explosion (updated)

File photo

Two Limassol youths lost their hands on Sunday after a firecracker they were making blew up, police said.

Their condition is serious but not life-threatening.

The two, aged 21 and 19, were manufacturing firecrackers at home at 10.30pm when the accident happened.

They were rushed to Limassol general hospital where the 21-year-old had his left hand amputated. His friend suffered partial amputation of his left hand, a burn in his left eye and right hand, and nose injury, police said.

Police said the explosion happened while the pair were trying to load a plastic pipe with low explosive

According to authorities, the 19 year-old had been involved in similar cases in the past.

“The police has launched a campaign to prevent these kinds of situations, giving lectures to schools and other organised groups, involving community police, even its bomb squad, in a bid to highlight the problem,” Limassol CID chief Ioannis Sotiriades said.

He referred to the incident as tragic while stressing that the force was bolstering efforts to clamp down on the dangerous Easter tradition to use firecrackers.

Despite constant appeals and obvious well known risks, some people continue to make them, he said.

Every year, police clamp down on firecrackers and manage to seize thousands of the smaller, factory-made type.

Most of the injuries however, are caused by the homemade ones, which oftentimes resemble bombs

 

Related Posts

Lack of interest in EastMed pipeline ‘worrying’

Elias Hazou

Petrol stations association in the north threatens to close its pumps

Sarah Ktisti

Meeting Friday to look at ways to reduce electricity bills

Elias Hazou

Survey shows people in the north are not happy

Andrea Charalambous

MPs hope to pass bill to support refugees before recess

Staff Reporter

Firefighting fleet to be reinforced with four new aircraft

Christodoulos Mavroudis

90 comments

Comments are closed.