By Andria Kades
Communications Minister Marios Demetriades has appealed to unions to cancel the scheduled strike on Thursday at the Limassol port over the government’s plans to privatise it.
He stressed that differences were solved through discussions and not with strikes that only caused more problems rather than solving them, adding that he had already assured staff, during several meetings, that their rights would be protected.
“This is why we created a mixed advisory committee where workers representatives participate,” he said. “It is for these exact reasons that I would like to appeal to unions and employees they suspend the strikes they announced.”
The Cyprus Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KEVE) called the strike a threat to the economy that undermines the completion of island’s economic and financial reform programme agreed with international creditors.
“Every postponement, delay or obstruction of the programme leads to obstacles with known consequences to the economy,” they said.
KEVE called on the government and parties to go ahead with the privatisation of the Electricity Authority of Cyprus, the Telecommunications Authority of Cyprus and the Limassol port, blaming the practises of past decades for today’s deadlocks stipulating that any efforts for compromise should not continue.