By Bejay Browne
POLIS CHRYSOCHOUS municipality has finally been given approval for the construction of a further ten wave breakers, which authorities say will help to protect the shoreline.
Mayor of Polis Angelos Georgiou told the Sunday Mail that the second phase of the wave breakers has been given the green light.
“In the coming days the department of public works will announce the tender process for this project,” he said.
The mayor said that the cost of the project will be around five million euros, of which the municipality will have to contribute 25 per cent or around 1.25 million euros.
“The work will take two and a half years, with a break during the summer months to avoid creating nuisance and adversely affect tourism.”
Georgiou added that the department of public works asked for guarantees that the economic contribution of the municipality is assured. He said that this amount is already deposited in a separate account for this purpose.
The master plan for protecting the coastline envisaged the construction of 14 breakwaters.
So far, only the four at Latsi port have been erected. Phase one was completed in 2010 and phase two, which will now run from the last breaker up to the campsite at Polis, should have commenced immediately afterwards.
Erosion in the area has long been a problem and Georgiou said coastal erosion at Polis bay in particular was devastating and needed to be rectified. He added that the first phase of wave barriers – the four by Latsi port – had shown how efficient and effective they were in protecting the coast from erosion and improving the beaches.
“I welcome this development, which comes after huge struggles and efforts to reverse the erosion taking place for years in the region and will contribute to the improvement of our beaches and upgrade our tourism.”
Work on the construction of breakwaters expected to start in autumn.