Cyprus Mail
Sport

Baghdatis beats top seed Ferrer in Nottingham

The Cypriot gave himself a major boost ahead of next week's Wimbledon

Cyprus star Marcos Baghdatis gave himself a major boost ahead of Wimbledon next week when he beat top seed David Ferrer at the Aegon Open in Nottingham on Tuesday afternoon.

Baghdatis, 30, who won the title in Nottingham last year when it was an ATP Challenger Tour event, came through 6-2 7-6(4), despite only winning one of the pair’s previous five encounters.

Ferrer is the second top-seeded Spaniard the world number 59 faced on grass this month, having fallen to eventual champion Rafael Nadal in Stuttgart.

Having taken a week off to train ahead of Nottingham, Baghdatis looked fresh when he tackled Ferrer yesterday and he will now face Germany’s Alexander Zverev in Wednesday’s quarter-finals.

Speaking to the Nottingham Post newspaper prior to his arrival in the city, Baghdatis said: “I’m starting to feel better and better.
“You need more matches, more games, and slowly you feel better when you play more and more.”

Related posts

Apoel begin Champions League campaign with win in Montenegro

Staff Reporter

Alli refreshed, renewed and ready to push on

Press Association

I have not ‘disrespected’ Bale, says Zidane

Ronaldo will not face rape charge in Las Vegas

Apoel begin European journey in Montenegro

Iacovos Constantinou

De Gea: I’d love to be handed Man United captaincy

Press Association

3 comments

Comments are closed.