By Andria Kades
A court hearing for the family of four investigated for sexually abusing relatives and other minors has been postponed again after one of their lawyers quit the case on Tuesday.
The four suspects are a 63-year-old father, his ex-wife 64 and their two sons 36 and 37 who were taken to Limassol District Court on Tuesday morning but were not charged after the lawyer – who represents the ex wife and eldest son, told the court he was resigning.
This is the same lawyer who last Friday – when they were supposed to be charged – raised concerns about the safety of his clients, and his own.
The court decided to postpone the case to Monday as there is also a pending application from the 63-year-old for legal assistance.
The hearing was held behind closed doors and there were no tensions this time as relatives gathered outside the court. Last week’s commotion required a police intervention while at an earlier date the 63-year-old father and the 37-year-old son were tackled to the ground and kicked by a group of relatives outside court.
The suspects were arrested after one of the four victims reported the abuse, which allegedly took place between 1992 and 1999.
They allegedly sexually assaulted and abused three girls and a boy.
The victims are the children of the 64-year-old woman’s two brothers. The two girls – now 29 and 34 – are sisters to the boy – now 27 – while the fourth victim is the daughter of the second brother.
According reports, all four cousins are believed to have suffered sexual abuse at the hands of their aunt, uncle and their two sons.
They said they had kept their silence all these years for fear of not being believed. Prompted by her therapist, the 29-year-old woman reported the crime and the other three followed suit.
Police is also looking at three complaints that emerged afterwards against the 63-year-old alleging that he had raped a boy, 16, and indecently assaulting two girls, nine and 13.