Cyprus Mail
Main

Student electrocuted, dies at beach party (updated)

A 23 year-old student, Alexis Charalambous from Nicosia, died on Friday night after being electrocuted while attempting to rig up lights powered by an electricity generator at a Meneou beach party in Larnaca.

Reports said that Charalambous, who along with other students was preparing for the beach party, lost consciousness when he was hit by electricity when the generator’s power was turned on.

He was transferred to Larnaca hospital where doctors confirmed his death.

A post mortem is to be carried out on Sunday by state pathologist Eleni Antoniou.

Charalambous was a fourth-year student at the department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Cyprus, which expressed their “deep sorrow” for his loss and extended their condolences to his family.

The Rector’s council announced that all flags on campus will fly half mast until Monday.

 

Related Posts

Spain cannot repeat mistakes from Japan collapse, says Rodri

Reuters News Service

Moldova accuses Russia of energy blackmail, ‘ready for any scenario’

Reuters News Service

Daily News Briefing

Staff Reporter

Ukraine vows to repair shattered rail network to reconnect retaken towns

Reuters News Service

Why some Iranians want their own country banned from World Cup

Reuters News Service

Brazil’s Bolsonaro avoids concession to Lula, but transition to begin

Reuters News Service

22 comments

Comments are closed.