Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Suspected family of abusers denied bail, held until trial

The father, mother and two sons suspected of sexually abusing extended family members and other minors between 1992 and 2002 will remain in custody until their trial on September 30.

The Limassol court on Tuesday denied their requests to be freed on bail, and the four suspects will remain in the Nicosia central prisons until trial. Currently 47 charges are being investigated the 63-year-old father, his ex-wife 64 and their two sons aged 36 and 37.

They include conspiracy to commit a crime, rape, attempt to rape, harassment of a female less than 13-years-old, indecent assault towards a woman and indecent assault towards a man.

The victims are the children of the 64-year-old woman’s two brothers. The two girls – now 29 and 34 – are sisters to the boy – now 27 – while the fourth victim is the daughter of the second brother.

All four cousins are believed to have suffered sexual abuse at the hands of their aunt, uncle and their two sons.

The case came to light after the 29-year-old reported the crime following advice from her therapist. The other three followed suit and all said they kept their silence all these years for fear of not being believed.

The lawyer representing the ex-wife and eldest son resigned last week. His replacement has also taken on the case of the father.


Related posts

New rubbish solution proving to be a smelly alternative

Jonathan Shkurko

Time for Turkey to understand EU’s message says Neophytou

Katy Turner

‘Public health must be prioritised over phone companies’

Katy Turner

Hail and storms from Famagusta to the mountains (update 4)

Katy Turner

Colourful festival draws to a close in Ayia Napa (pics)

Katy Turner

Armed robbery at Nicosia bakery

Katy Turner

1 comment

Comments are closed.