By George Psyllides
THE HEALTH minister has ordered an inquiry into the apparent failure of a state doctor at Paphos general hospital to diagnose a twin pregnancy, which ended in one stillbirth.
A ministry statement said Giorgos Pamborides has ordered an administrative probe into the incident to determine whether there had been medical negligence, delays, or omissions.
The female gynaecologist implicated in the affair has been dismissed, the Cyprus News Agency (CNA) said. The doctor, who was on a temporary contract, has been asked by the minister to respond to the reasons of her dismissal. CNA said the doctor would do so.
The incident became public on Saturday, after the 22-year-old mother reported the doctor to police.
The woman said she gave birth to a healthy baby boy at around midnight on Friday but it later transpired that she had been carrying twins.
The second baby was stillborn.
The mother told police that neither she nor anyone else had been aware that she had been carrying twins.
A post mortem is scheduled for Tuesday.
Police visited the hospital on Saturday and obtained the mother’s medical records.
Police spokesman Andreas Angelides said they were also taking statements from everyone involved.
The case file will then be forwarded to the attorney-general for further instructions.
“The 22-year-old has given a statement to police, which is being examined in conjunction with the data from her records and the other statements taken so far,” Angelides said.
He said statements will be taken from doctors and other hospital staff.
“At present it is premature to speak about arrests,” Angelides said. “What is important at this stage is taking the statements and investigating the incident based on the complaint.”