Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Mother charged with kidnapping her son

Larnaca courthouse

The 35-year-old woman from the UK who was arrested on Wednesday after being reported by her former partner for taking their eight-year-old child out of the country without his consent has been charged with kidnapping, police said on Friday.

The Larnaca court decided that the woman, who asked for legal aid, will remain in custody for five more days until she is assigned a lawyer.

The woman was reported to police on July 23 by her 51-year-old former partner and father of the boy, after she informed him through a text message that she would travel to the UK for family reasons and would take their son with her.

The father, also a British national, who allegedly did not give permission for his son to travel outside the country, reported a possible kidnapping by his former partner to Larnaca CID.

According to reports, the couple had moved with their son to Cyprus around four years ago, and after their separation last year, they had made arrangements for joint custody.

The boy is still in the UK with the mother’s family, police said, and procedures are to be set in motion by the ministry of foreign affairs for his return.

The woman was arrested Wednesday night at her house after a tip–off that she had returned from the UK.

Reportedly she admitted to the police that she had intended to pack up her belongings and return to England to her son and live there permanently.

The court heard that following the arrest, the woman made some claims against her ex, which are being investigated.



Related posts

Coronavirus: Dherynia mayor tests positive

Staff Reporter

Coronavirus: Three deaths, 292 new cases (Updated)

George Psyllides

Coronavirus: Over 83,000 people have taken rapid tests

George Psyllides

78 per cent of asylum claims are bogus says minister

Jean Christou

Girl missing since November 26

Staff Reporter

Supreme court chides police over spy-van arrest warrant

George Psyllides

7 comments

Comments are closed.