THE Friends of the Police Association (FPA) wants to see the media coverage of two policemen seen in a video gone viral on social media viciously attacking a young man played down as it is offending fellow police officers.
In a letter sent to the broadcast watchdog Radiotelevision Authority on Thursday, the association said that after the events were made public it has received complaints by members of the police who feel “offended, bitter and unspeakable shame instead of great pride for their uniform and mission,” the FPA said.
Apparently, it has also received complaints from children and grandchildren of policemen “that are ashamed of their relatives’ job and are scared they will be bullied at school.”
This is due to the “continuous, uncontrollable exposure in tactless, unregulated and repeated time frames during the family zone,” when media reports on the issue.
If the video needed to be shown, it should not be at a time where minors could see it, they added.
Posted on Facebook by the 26-year-old man’s lawyer Epaminondas Korakides last week, it has been viewed online close to 200,000 times.
FPA “condemns every form of illegal and inexcusable police violence against any person such as the two policemen (seen in the video),” and that since 1992 it reported or was involved in punishing or dismissing 38 members of the force.
The first hearing for the two policemen is scheduled for September 14. They are facing charges relating to torture and grievous bodily harm.
The two officers posted a €30,000 bail each and had to surrender their travel documents. Their names have been placed on the list of people banned from leaving Cyprus.
The footage was recorded on February 10, 2014 just before 11pm from the cell’s security camera.