Cyprus Mail
CrimeCyprus

Detained Moldovan man wanted by US authorities

By George Psyllides

A 30-year-old Moldovan man, wanted in the Unites States in connection with the theft of over $3.5mln (€3.2mln), was on Saturday remanded in custody until mid October when extradition proceedings were due to commence.
The man, arrested in Paphos on Friday on an international arrest warrant, is wanted in the US in connection with the electronic transfer of over €3.5mln from a company to a bank in another – unspecified – country.
The offences were committed between August 2012 and this month, police said. The suspect is said to have used the computer of a company employee to transfer the cash.
The man arrived in Cyprus on August 21 and had been staying in Paphos. It was his first time on the island, according to police. He had been granted a visa until November 19 though the date on his return ticket is September 14.
During his arrest, police also seized a computer.
The court ordered his detention until October 12, the date when proceedings for his extradition are expected to commence. In the meantime, US authorities must provide Cyprus with the necessary documentation to back their request.
His lawyer said 42 days in remand was too much and requested his client be released on €20,000 bail.
He said the reason his client came to Cyprus was because of his underage daughter who is suffering from a health problem which is eased by the island’s good weather.
The lawyer said the man had no relatives in Cyprus, just friends, and no professional ties.

Related Posts

New poll confirms Christodoulides slippage but maintaining lead

Nikolaos Prakas

Man critical after motorcycle accident in Larnaca

Nikolaos Prakas

Over 300 projects worth €525m for mountain communities

Nikolaos Prakas

Two arrested for attempted abduction in Paphos

Nikolaos Prakas

Cypriot KV Fund looking for pre-seed and seed startups to invest in

Panis Pieri

High levels of dust in the air

Nikolaos Prakas