A bomb threat saw the buildings of the electricity authority and the telecommunications authority evacuated in Paphos on Wednesday morning. Police have since confirmed the calls were a hoax.
Paphos police spokesman Nicos Tsappis said: “A man called the police and said that he had placed an explosive device in the two buildings. An officer from the canine unit evacuated the area and nothing was found.”
According to Christina Papadopoulou, the spokeswoman of the electricity authority, EAC, a call was placed to the police saying that a bomb had been placed at the offices of CyTA as well as the EAC offices in Paphos.
“The call was placed around 8.15am and I believe a threat was made to CyTA as well. The police evacuated everyone from the building and it was thoroughly checked using dogs as well. It was given the all clear about 10.15am.”
Tsappis said that police are now trying to trace the man who laced the call.
Papadopoulou noted that the EAC was now operating as usual.