By Andria Kades
Two separate investigations into the death of a twin born to a young mother in Paphos hospital, who did not know she was expecting two children, are set to be submitted to the relevant authorities next week.
On Monday, Health Minister Giorgos Pamboridis is expected to receive findings of an administrative investigation he requested while at some point during the week, police will be handing over their own criminal probe to the attorney- general’s office.
Speaking on state TV, police spokesman Andreas Angelides said he could not comment on their findings as it was an ongoing investigation.
“I cannot mention details of the results but what I can say is that we have a picture of exactly what happened,” he said.
“What I can say is that we have a clear picture about this serious case, it was really one of the most serious cases… bearing in mind the nature of the facts and the circumstances.”
The police investigation is examining whether there was a criminal offence and is set to discuss the matter with the attorney-general’s office next week.
Investigations are expected to reveal whether this was a case of negligence after the 22-year-old mother delivered an unexpected infant 15 minutes after his brother.
The mother reported to police she had five ultrasound tests but was only aware of one child and did not know she was carrying twins. The female gynecologist, who had been employed on a temporary contract set to expire in November was dismissed.
She personally apologised to the mother afterwards. A post mortem showed that the second boy died during birth.
The facilities of the hospital were a matter of controversy after former state pathologist Marios Matsakis said that the hospital had two ultrasound machines, one of which was an old model.
Health ministry permanent secretary Christina Yiannaki hit back saying both were state-of-the art whereby Matsakis promptly called her a liar.
The mother’s police report said she was monitored five times on the ultrasound machine, reportedly the newer model.