Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Suspect in dead baby investigation released

CNA photo

A 41-year-old clerk at Nicosia general hospital was set to be released on Thursday after he was arrested in connection with the case of a dead baby thrown in a bin at the morgue, police spokesman Andreas Angelides said.

“It was decided he would not be presented to court for remand and will be allowed free while we wait for the completed investigations,” he told state TV.

The clerk was arrested on Wednesday but it seems no evidence was found against him.

At present police are still taking statements trying to resolve this “serious case that has concerned all of society,” Angelides said.

Earlier this week, hospital staff realised the baby, delivered prematurely at eight months but who died two days later, was not in the refrigerator it was kept in after an autopsy.

After a search, staff found it in the trash. Who and why is responsible is still unknown although one rumour puts it down to a rift between state pathologists that were angered as the parents requested a London-based pathologist was present during the autopsy.

Health Minister George Pamporides said he hoped that was not the case and personally called the parents to apologise saying the system was an absolute failure and an apology was nowhere near enough.

The baby was born on August 30 at a private clinic but was taken to Makarios Hospital after facing respiratory problems. Two days later, the infant died and results on the autopsy that took place at Nicosia general hospital are still pending.


Related posts

Large range of properties in Cyprus’ first-ever online auction

Jean Christou

Fun paddle event to raise funds for cancer charities

Bejay Browne

Have you seen this teenager

George Psyllides

Man remanded after 47 cannabis plants found in his home

Staff Reporter

Foreign ministry issues Lebanon travel warning

Staff Reporter

Europol launches ‘most wanted’ campaign with focus on females

Gina Agapiou

12 comments

Comments are closed.