Cyprus Mail
CyprusHealth

Deadbeat doctors ‘must be fired’

By Evie Andreou

THE head of the state medical services says that a number of ‘deadbeat’ doctors, as well as others being investigated for lewd behaviour, should get the sack and that the tough-talking Health minister also shares his view.

Petros Matsas said on Friday that yet another probe is currently underway, adding to the multitude of investigations of medical incompetence, misdiagnosis and negligence, only this time it involves a state doctor who allegedly send nude photos to a patient.

A ministry source confirmed to the Cyprus Mail that the probe is underway. It adds to the long list of violations, including doctors who refuse to perform their duties.

Other cases of gross incompetence include the recent case of a baby found in a hospital morgue’s dumpster.

Matsas was quoted by the Ygeia-news medical portal as saying that the health ministry is in the process of replacing doctors who were deemed as “insufficient”.

He said that the state medical services, with the blessing of the health ministry, have introduced an evaluation and replacement programme of doctors who are reported of not responding competently to their duties. Those deemed as insufficient will be replaced with other “sufficient doctors”.

Matsas said that his service has launched a probe into claims that a state doctor was sending naked photos to a patient. The doctor in question was reported in the past for similar reprehensible behaviour, he said.

The medical chief added that he has also called for a report into events regarding the misdiagnosis at the Nicosia general hospital earlier in the week of a footballer who was rushed to the emergency ward after he was hit in the face during a football match, only to be sent home with painkillers and instructions to get some rest. Later in the day, the footballer was rushed by his wife to a private clinic after he was constantly vomiting, where a CT scan revealed he had serious fractures to the cheekbone. He was immediately admitted to surgery, which lasted 4.5 hours.

The health ministry, Matsas said, has also asked from the Public Service Commission to suspend a gynaecologist at the Paphos hospital, who was reported by the family of a pregnant woman for refusing to report for duty and deliver the baby when the mother went into premature labour some two weeks ago. The gynaecologist also allegedly told the mother the next day that it was her fault for having sex and going into labour. The doctor was also reported as making an indecent gesture to the young mother.

Matsas told Ygeia-news that at the moment there is an ophthalmologist at the Paphos hospital who refuses to reform cataract surgeries, thus forcing Paphos residents to travel to the Nicosia general hospital for such procedures, which he called “unethical”.

Another doctor, he said, this time not at the Paphos hospital, spends his working day in front of a computer “playing with the keyboard without producing a single cent worth of work the whole day”.

“These doctors, in my opinion, and fortunately the health minister [George Pamporides] also believes the same, must go away,” Matsas was quoted as saying.

He said that they have already replaced a doctor at the emergency room (ER) in Paphos.

Related Posts

New law requires all car crashes be logged into database

Jonathan Shkurko

Basketball match fixing report will be handed to attorney general

Antigoni Pitta

Fitch upgrades BoC citing NPE reduction, Cypriot economy resilience

Kyriacos Nicolaou

ZIKZAK Architects complete landmark Limassol office project

CM Guest Columnist

Medical Association under investigation for potentially violating competition rules

Staff Reporter

MPs voice their stance on the 2023 state budget

Antigoni Pitta

44 comments

Comments are closed.