Nicosia bus company OSEL said on Sunday that as of Monday it would be in a position to re-establish services to 42 villages affected all last week by a legal dispute that put a number of buses out of service in rural areas.
In an announcement, OSEL said the timetable for resumption of affected routes had to undergo some modifications since the company could still not ensure the proper use of the Arediou station “for reasons not attributable to the company”.
The resumed programme includes a number of changes with respects to pick-up and drop-off points but OSEL said it had ensured passengers would be easily able to transfer to other routes in and out of Nicosia.
For information, the new progamme has been posted on OSEL’s website http://www.osel.com.cy and its Facebook page with all the necessary information including maps and schedules that will apply on weekdays from Monday for the moment. In addition, the public can contact the OSEL hotline 77-77-77-55.
Some 42 villages were left without a bus service since last Monday, when OSEL shareholder Tasos Michaelides refused to run his buses until he saw actions taken against the company and those responsible for what he alleged of cooking the books, cheating the state over fuel and bus maintenance costs, and bribing officials.
OSEL had a court order issued on Tuesday against Michaelides and members of his family, ordering them to hand over the 27 buses and the Arediou bus station they occupied last Sunday. Michaelides, who still refuses to budge, blocked the buses and the Arediou station on Tuesday when a trench was dug around the buses, preventing OSEL from recovering the fleet.
On Friday, all bus routes transporting students were restored and the company said then it was working on a plan aiming to restore a full service in the affected areas with the help of other bus owners until the court order can be executed.