Cyprus has no information about possible terrorist threats on the island but additional measures have been put in place since Saturday, following the attacks in Paris, Justice Minister Ionas Nicolaou said.
Speaking after a cabinet meeting on Tuesday, Nicolaou said security measures had been put in place since February, mainly relating to points of entry into the Republic, diplomatic missions, and foreign interests, including schools.
The additional measures were visible on Nicosia’s streets on Tuesday with armed officers making their appearance on Ledra Street.
Similar measures were in place in other busy public areas across the island.
“We even check irregular migrants who arrive in Cyprus,” the minister said. “Checks are carried out through intelligence we possess, or data we have collected, or in co-operation with other services. Our effort is to maintain a high level of security in our country.”
The minister said measures were reviewed at regular intervals in a bid to make them more effective. The last review was 10 days ago.
“We do not have any information on any threat or danger, I want to stress this, but we are acting proactively because we want to have a high level of security in our country,” Nicolaou said.
Asked about rumours claiming British journalists would test security measures at airports by trying to pass fake firearms through police checks, the minister said “no one would be allowed to question the security level we have, either at airports or other points in our country.”