Cyprus Mail

OSEL’s Michaelides says he will report police to complaints authority

The OSEL offices on Friday

Tasos Michaelides, the shareholder in the Nicosia bus company OSEL who made allegations of mismanagement against the firm, which culminated in a brawl on Friday afternoon, said on Sunday he was reporting police to the independent authority for complaints against the force, according to the Cyprus News Agency.

Three people, including OSEL boss Iordanis Iordanous, were injured when Michaelides and around a dozen relatives and friends went to the company’s main offices in Nicosia after they had been fired the previous day. Michaelides claimed the dismissals were a revenge tactic over the mismanagement allegations he made, and for no other reason. Both sides accuse each other of starting the brawl.

Police said on Saturday they were investigating two separate complaints, each regarding who the alleged instigators of the attack were.

But Michaelides said on Sunday that after “the haste shown by the police in response to complaints by Iordanous while ignoring the complaints of members of my family, we will move ahead with a complaint to the independent authority for complaints against the police due to the multitude of omissions and the favouring of Iordanous and his friends.”

Michaelides expressed his “sadness and disappointment” over what happened on Friday but said it was no coincidence that those who were made redundant were his relatives and people from his village.

“The only reason for the termination of their employment was the complaint I made to police about irregularities in the company, and the waste of public money,” he added.

Iordanous, he said,  was the mastermind of his own ostracism by the company using ‘underhand methods to financially strangle my family”.

Earlier this month Michaelides parked several OSEL buses outside the Presidential Palace and disrupted rural services for days after, he said, his allegations of embezzlement and mismanagement were being ignored.

OSEL has pointed the finger squarely at Michaelides and his sons for Friday’s brawl and has repeatedly called on police to arrest the suspects.

“They barged into our offices, exercised violence, and left victims and serious damage behind them. Everything took place in front of eye-witnesses,” the company said on Saturday.

Related posts

Four remanded after wild car chase in Paphos

Staff Reporter

Bringing our art the long road home

Lizzy Ioannidou

Hapless thieves throw away €2,000 still inside bag they snatched (Updated)

Staff Reporter

Flooded roads in Larnaca reopened, rains abate (Updated)

Staff Reporter

JRCC trains foreign officers in search and rescue techniques

Source: Cyprus News Agency

A week of walking and cycling in Paphos

Bejay Browne


Comments are closed.