Cyprus Mail

Video of police beating shown as brutality trial gets underway

Still from the video that was released on social media in August

The trial of two police officers accused of beating a detainee inside a holding cell in Paphos got underway on Monday, with the entire security footage from the Polis Chrysochous station shown in the court.
The plaintiff will be taking the stand at the next hearing before Paphos criminal court, set for December 14.
The court was shown CCTV footage from the moment the man was brought to the station by Drug Squad officers, his physical confrontation with two station officers, and his subsequent beating at the hands of the two officers who are on trial.
The officers are free on €30,000 bail each. They have surrendered their travel documents and they are banned from leaving the country.
The two, who were recorded by a security camera inside the cell, face charges relating to torture, and intentionally causing grievous bodily harm. The latter carries a maximum sentence of life in jail.
The incident happened in Polis Chrysohous on February 10, 2014.
The video of the beating was published on social media in August.
It shows one officer beating a man repeatedly with a truncheon, beginning on camera and continuing off-camera for a longer period while another looks on but later joins in with a few kicks while the man is on the ground.
The clip starts with the man sitting in a cell when two policemen approach him. He is sprayed in the face with what appears to be pepper spray and backs into a corner whereupon they enter the cell and one policeman violently and repeatedly attacks him with a truncheon.
The man had been arrested earlier that day after resisting a body search and although nothing illegal was found on him, he was taken to Polis Chrysochous station and detained for assaulting police officers.
He was led to the cell foyer and asked to hand over his personal items so they could lock him in a cell, his lawyer said.
The man refused to co-operate and asked for medical care after which police tried to immobilise him using force.
He reacted and got into a fight with the two policemen. At the same time, a penknife fell from the man’s pocket which he grabbed and used to attack one of the policemen. He then ran and locked himself in a cell, the same one the beating subsequently takes place in.
The man was charged for assaulting the police officers by the Criminal Court but was given an 18-month suspended sentence.

Related Posts

Coronavirus: People held picnics outside restaurants to protest new restrictions

Gina Agapiou

Education minister to attend EYCS council next week

Staff Reporter

Coronavirus: Non-urgent operations to be postponed after emergence of Covid variant of concern

Gina Agapiou

Parents announce further actions against new measures

Gina Agapiou

Coronavirus: Where to get tested on Monday

Gina Agapiou

Coronavirus: Traffic at bars and nightclubs dropped to 20-30 per cent

Gina Agapiou


Comments are closed.